Kindex is excited to announce several updates to our archival web software that will make indexing your family records faster and easier.
1. View Record Progress at a Glance
See at a glance your record transcription status with our new “In Progress” label. Start a new transcription (click “Transcribe”), finish incomplete transcriptions (click “In Progress”), or read completed transcriptions (click records with a white checkmark).
2. Transcribe Records Back-to-Back
Get transcriptions done quickly and efficiently with our new “Save & Do Next” option. When you are done transcribing a record, click “Save & Do Next” and Kindex will automatically load the next record in the Collection for transcription.
Alternatively, you can click “Save & Read”, which opens a new page where you can review, edit, or tag your transcription.
3. Transcribe tables, forms, and other tabular text with new table tool
Our new table tool enables you to create tables in the transcription field to transcribe records that require some organization of text, such as official records, ledgers, or records with columns or tabulated text. With the table tool you can add a table, merge, edit rows and columns, add a table header, and customize vertical and horizontal text alignment.
Hint: If you are transcribing text from common record types that have repeated fields (i.e., postcards, marriage records, ledgers), create a table template that designates data fields. Then, copy and paste the table from your existing transcription window into the transcription of each new record so transcribers can input the text in the correct fields.
4. Download archive data as a CSV file
Our CSV archive download is a fantastic tool archive owners can use to access archive data, analyze archive status and needs, and backup archive data.
To download your archive as a CSV:
- Log in to your archive and go to Manage Archive (click the green cog in upper right corner ) and
- Select the Tools tab.
- Click “Download Archive as CSV”)
Open your downloaded CSV file to your archive data. Includes Archive Name, Archive Subdomain, File Name, Collection, Title, Person, Description, Keywords, Provenance, Date, Place, Contributor, Transcription, and Tags.
We hope you find these tools helpful when transcribing your family or historical society records! Is there a feature you would like to see? Contact us and tell us about it.
It’s time to be the record rescuer your family needs. Start or upgrade your family archive on Kindex.org today.
SIGN UP OR LOG IN!
You don’t need to have a stack of old family records to need a Kindex archive. Just today I was staring at a pile of my daughter’s artwork from school and thought, “I’m archiving this on Kindex!”
We started with a set of pictures my daughter drew for a book. First, we created a free, private archive on Kindex.org in her name. Then, we scanned the pictures and added them to her very first Collection: Charlotte’s Book.
We opened each drawing and she told me a little about each one. As she talked, I typed in a description (she’s six, so not quite skilled enough on the keyboard). She loved telling me about each drawing!
3. Search & Share
Because of Kindex’s built-in transcription and metadata tools, finding each record will be so easy. No longer will we be searching through endless piles of art projects; we can simply search Kindex and it will be there.
Every Kindex archive has a “Share” page where you can share your archive with someone new. She is so thrilled with the idea that she can have her own archive! In fact, by the time I finished this post, she drew another picture for me to “Kindex”:
Getting to this point took about 15 minutes, start to finish, I’m so excited scan the rest of her artwork. It will sure help us simplify, get rid of clutter, and feel better about discarding many of the papers she has accumulated.
My next project is to help my older children scan the all the school projects and papers they have saved for the past 18 years. I can be hard to throw away that book report you spent so much time on, but knowing it will be archived and searchable on Kindex certainly helps all of us feel better about getting rid of a few things.
AW, SO CUTE! CREATE MY ARCHIVE
Expanding the Idea
Now that you’ve seen how easy it is to create a Kindex archive, what will you put in your archive? Here are some ideas to get you thinking:
- Create a living family archive with collections for each child. Scan & preserve school papers, awards, art, report cards, letters, and other special documents.
- Create an online cookbook and collaborate with family members near and far.
- Scan, save, and organize receipts, bills, and other important papers for your home or business.
- Scan your family trust papers on a private archive and invite board members to the archive.
- Start your own personal archive and add special records like letters, diaries, and photos.
- Use Kindex for research projects. Organize, transcribe, and search primary sources in a private archive and invite other researchers to collaborate.
- Use Kindex to teach your students about historical records. Invite each student to transcribe a record and share what they learned.
- Start a private collaborative archive for your genealogy or historical society and add the Kindex CSV data download to your database.
- Set up a public transcription project for your private collection.
- Create archives for families who donate collections to your society. This allows them to have access to their records and collaborate in transcribing records.
SIGN ME UP!
But why would I choose Kindex over other media storage options like Google Photos, Dropbox, and similar products? Ask yourself the following:
- Does it offer unlimited records?
Kindex’s current special offers unlimited records for about $8/month*
- Does it have built-in tools for metadata, transcriptions, and tags?
Kindex is a rare web software tools that offers all these features.
- Can I assign metadata to multiple records at a time?
Kindex allows batch record uploads and metadata editing.
- Can I choose between a private and public archive?
Kindex offers the option of private or public archive*
- Is it collaborative?
Kindex allows you to invite unlimited people to add, transcribe, search, and share records in your archive*
- Can I download all my archive data at any time?
Kindex allows archive owners to download all archive data as a CSV file.
- Is it fully searchable?
Kindex allows full searchability on titles, descriptions, transcriptions and other metadata.
*upgraded archives only
Archive Your Life on Kindex
Now that we’ve got you thinking, it’s time to head over to Kindex.org and get started. If you already have a free Kindex archive, now is the time to upgrade for only $99.
LET’S DO THIS!