How to Collaborate
What's a Collaborator?
People you invite to join your archive are called Collaborators. An archive owner may invite unlimited collaborators. Collaborating is a great way to crowdsource record gathering and indexing.
- View, search, and read records
- Add information to records, such as a description, transcription, or comments
- Add records to the archive
Collaborators may not:
- Delete records
- Move, edit, or delete Collections
- Change Record Info (metadata initially added to records)
How to Collaborate
- To invite others to become a Collaborator on your archive, log in to your Kindex archive and click the Manage Archive cog in the upper right corner.
- Click to the Collaborate tab, and add the emails of those you want to invite as collaborators. Click “Invite”.
- The person invited to collaborate will receive an email invitation to collaborate. To accept the invite, click “Accept Invitation”.
- To complete the Collaborator invite process, the invited person invited will go to a page to log in and access the archive. If they don’t yet have a Kindex account, they click Signup to create a new account.
- If you are already logged in, you will be directed to a page where you click Accept Invitation to access the archive
Important: Please be sure you are logged in as the user that was invited to collaborate. If not, click the logout link to login as the correct user.
- Once the user is signed up or logged in, the Collaborator will be directed to the archive.
- I can’t find my invitation to collaborate email.
If a person can’t find invitation to collaborate email, be sure to first check their spam or junk folders for the email. Invites may be re-sent by removing the email from the Collaborator list in the Collaborate Tab in Manage Archives. Add the email again and click the Invite button.
- How can I remove a person’s access to my archive?
To remove a Collaborator’s access to your archive, click on the “garbage can” icon next to their email.
- Where is the archive I was invited to?
If you are a Collaborator, you will be directed to the archive you were invited to after logging in. To access other archives you’ve been invited to collaborate, click Archives and choose another archive.
- How do I know when a user accepts my invite to collaborate?
When a user accepts your invitation to collaborate, their email changes from gray to green in the Collaborator list found in the Collaborator tab of the Manage Archives tool.